The mission of the Foundation began in 1965 when the Archdiocese of Malta decided to coordinate the work done with children living in out of home care in homes run by male and female religious congregations. Since 1965, the primary focus was on Children’s Homes. This changed in 2000 when the Archdiocese of Malta opened Dar Qalb ta’ Gesu, a second-stage shelter for survivors of domestic violence. This shelter was the first of its kind in Malta as it focussed on empowering women and children to reintegrate into the community, independent from their abuser.
Fondazzjoni Sebħ runs the following services:
- Fra Diego in Ħamrun – home for 18 children
- Sagra Familja – home for 11 children
- St Theresa – home for 6 children
- St Francis (Birkirkara) – home for 12 children, currently being refurbished
- Dar Qalb ta’ Ġesù – shelter for 12 families, survivors of domestic violence
- Arzella – child care centre
Later this year the Foundation will re-launch its community-based prevention team. This team will aim to work with families in the Ħamrun or Marsa areas.